Product links may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.Jump to Recipe
Tender chicken, veggies, and lots of spices cozy up with wild rice and lots of cheese. This Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice is the ultimate comfort meal but is also full of nourishing ingredients.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice
- Chicken breast: I always have it on hand!
- Carrots, celery, frozen peas, and yellow onion: Lots of veggies make this recipe hearty and healthy too!
- Minced garlic: Gimme all the garlic!
- Wild rice: The type of rice that you use for this recipe matters. I’ve used this wild rice and it turns out great. Do not use instant wild rice or normal white rice. I highly suggest buying this rice!
- Chicken broth: Canned, boxed, or bullion cubes will do the job.
- Salt, pepper, thyme, and oregano: Wild rice pairs so well with thyme and oregano.
- Shredded cheddar cheese: You could use any kind of cheese that you have. Colby jack or even Mexican blend would be great.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice
This recipe is not hard but it does require a little bit of babysitting. I get messages all the time from people saying their rice in the slow cooker never turns out! I’m here to give you a few tips for success.
To make this recipe, start by chopping the veggies and the chicken. Combine all the ingredients except the cheese and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 hours.
If you overcook the rice, it will end up super mushy and that’s no good. In order to safeguard from overcooking the rice, check on it about every half hour. You can set a timer on your phone and check up on it periodically.
This recipe cooks on HIGH for two and a half hours. You cannot cook rice on LOW! It will spend way too much time cooking and will be super overcooked. Make sure that you cook rice on the HIGH setting. Each slow cooker varies, but this is the slow cooker that I use.
The rice you use makes a huge difference. For this recipe, I’ve used this wild rice, and it comes out perfectly! I haven’t tried this recipe with other kinds of rice, so I can’t promise that it will turn out. I highly suggest picking up some of this wild rice because it’s so yummy!
Once everything is all cooked to perfection, add the cheese, let it melt, and serve.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
If you can’t get enough of your slow cooker, check out these recipes:
Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken
Slow Cooker Garlic Steak Bites