Product links may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.Jump to Recipe
Ragu is a perfect slow cooker recipe because it just gets better the longer you cook it. All the flavors have the chance to meld together and create a dish that is much more than the sum of its parts. Slow Cooker Beef Ragu is an easy yet impressive meal that takes almost no effort to make!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Beef Ragu
- Chuck roast: I like to use chuck roast for this sauce as it has the perfect texture and flavor! If your chuck roast is very fatty, you can cut off the excess fat. A little fat is great, but a lot can get kind of yucky.
- Yellow onion, carrots, and celery: Vegetables make the base of this sauce.
- Canned crushed tomatoes and tomato paste: Tomatoes are a dominant flavor in ragu, so buy your favorite brand.
- Beef broth: Beef broth adds a richness that chicken broth just can’t match! But if all you have is chicken broth, that’s okay too.
- Salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, and minced garlic: Because a sauce needs seasonings.
- Brown sugar: A touch of brown sugar adds just the right amount of sweetness to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes and the richness of the beef.
- Cooked egg noodles, pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes: I like to use these Amish egg noodles, but serve this sauce with whatever carb you love the most.
How to Make Slow Cooker Beef Ragu
Making this recipe is so simple, but the end result tastes like you spent all day in the kitchen.
Prepare your chuck roast by cutting off the fat and chopping it into large chunks. It doesn’t matter too much how big the chunks are because they’ll be falling apart by the time you’re ready to eat!
Dice all the veggies and add them to the slow cooker, along with the tomatoes, tomato paste, seasonings, garlic, broth, and brown sugar. Stir it all together and add the roast. Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours.
This is my favorite slow cooker. It’s affordable, reliable, and easy to use. I love that the lid seals so there are no accidental spills.
Once the time is up, remove the roast pieces and put them on a plate. Cut off any excess fat pieces and shred the meat. It should be fall-apart tender. Add the shredded roast back to the slow cooker and stir everything together. Serve over cooked egg noodles, pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes and enjoy! You will want to be making this again.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow Cooker Tortellini Lasagna