Tortellini Pasta CarbonaraCourse: MainCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
20oz fresh Three Cheese Tortellini
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 slices bacon, diced
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
salt and pepper for taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. While water is heating up, add eggs and Parmesan cheese to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add diced bacon to a large skillet and heat over med to med hight heat. Cook until it’s crispy. Remove to a paper towel, reserve the grease left in pan.
- Add salt to boiling water, then add pasta. Boil according to package directions. Ladle out about a cup of pasta water to another bowl, then drain pasta.
- Add onion and garlic to bacon drippings in skillet. Cook about 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently so they don’t burn.
- Working quickly, pour about 2 Tbsp of hot pasta water into the egg mixture, whisking very quickly as you pour. This tempers the eggs so they don’t scramble when you add them to the pasta later.
- Turn off heat to the skillet. Add drained pasta to the skillet, then, working very quickly, add in the tempered egg and cheese mixture a little at a time, tossing to combine as you add in a little more. Pour in reserved pasta water, a tablespoon or so at a time, as you toss, until sauce reaches a consistency you like.
- Season with salt and pepper, sprinkled with cooked bacon pieces and toss one more time.
- Serve hot with additional Parmesan cheese, parsley and basil if desired.