Product links may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.Jump to Recipe
Peppers, onions, and sweet Italian sausage cozy up together in a flavorful spiced tomato sauce for a delicious and easy weeknight dinner. Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers is a low-prep dish that can be made into a freezer meal as well.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers
This dish is packed full of flavor thanks to lots of spices and juicy vegetables. To make this dish for dinner, you’ll need:
- red bell pepper
- green bell pepper
- yellow onion, sliced
- can crushed tomatoes
- chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- fennel seeds
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- dried oregano
- sweet Italian sausage
- cooked white rice, for serving
How to Make Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers
Making this dish is very simple. I’ll walk you through it. First, prep your slow cooker but lining it with a liner or spraying well with non-stick spray.
Add the crushed tomatoes, broth, and seasonings to the slow cooker and stir well. Add in the sliced peppers, onion, and sausages. Cook on LOW for 6 hours or until the sausage is completely cooked. Once the six hours is up, remove the sausages, slice them up, and return back to the slow cooker. Serve over cooked rice and enjoy!
Can I Make This a Freezer Meal?
Yes! This meal freezes super well. To prep this for the freezer, all you have to do is add all of the ingredients to a gallon-sized freezer bag, and throw it in the freezer. When you want to make it, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight, and slow cook for 6 hours. Serve this meal with cooked rice.
- Use gallon-sized freezer bags. Normal bags tend to rip once frozen.
- Use bag holders to make it easier to fill the bags.
- If you don’t have bag holders, you can place the bag into a large drink pitcher to help hold the bag up.
- Write on the label what the recipe is, the date you prepared it, how long to cook it for, if you have to add any ingredients, and what to serve with the meal. This will keep you from pulling out a bag of mystery meat and having no idea what to do with it!
- Place in the fridge overnight so it can thaw.
- If you cook from frozen, you can run the bag under hot water for a few seconds to loosen up the food so it is easy to pour out of the bag.
- Make sure you take the food out of the plastic bag before cooking! Didn’t think I needed to say that but I get asked all the time, haha.
- Freezer meals last for about 3 months in the freezer, so make sure you’re checking your dates.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
This looks yummy and right in the zone for an easy comfort food. Will make up a few freezer bags real soon. I wonder if I could slice the sausage BEFORE freezing and cooking to save some effort at the end. Or would it fall apart too much in the cooking process? Thoughts?