Product links may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is maybe my EASIEST recipe ever! Slow cooker shredded chicken tacos require only 4 ingredients (and that includes the tortillas!) and 1 minute of prep time! I’m not kidding. The hands-on time of this recipe is less than 10 minutes. This is my kind of recipe!
How to Make Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos
Okay I feel kind of dumb even writing this section, because this is so easy it almost needs no explanation. All you have to do is put your chicken breast, taco seasoning (I like to use this brand), and salsa (use your favorite!) in your slow cooker, and let it cook. If you cook on high it should only take about 5 hours, but will take about 7 if you cook on low. Every slow cooker is different, so your timing might be different than mine!
Then, shred the chicken, and assemble your tacos. I love to use this tool to easily shred my chicken. No more flailing with 2 forks trying to shred the chicken as fast as I can.
My kids like flour tortillas, but you could also use corn tortillas. Heat them up for a few seconds on your gas range, or in the microwave for a couple of seconds if you don’t have a gas range.
Top with your favorite toppings and ¡Buen Provecho!
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Taco Toppings
You can go as elaborate or as plain Jane as you like with toppings. Honestly, the chicken is pretty dang good on it’s own, so these tacos don’t need many toppings for them to be DELICIOUS. My favorite toppings are:
- sour cream
- shredded cheese (you could use cheddar, Mexican blend, or pepper jack)
- guacamole (or just diced avocado)
- diced tomatoes
- shredded lettuce (you know, for health;) )
Make a Freezer Meal
You can 100% make this into a freezer meal. I have included freezer instructions below in the recipe card. Here are a few tips on making freezer meals:
- Use freezer gallon-sized bags. Normal bags tend to rip once frozen.
- Use bag holders to make it easier to fill the bags.
- If you don’t have bag holders, you can place the bag into a large drink pitcher to help hold the bag up.
- Write on the label what the recipe is, the date you prepared it, how long to cook it for, if you have to add any ingredients, and what to serve with the meal. This will keep you from pulling out a bag of mystery meat and having no idea what to do with it!
- For chicken recipes, place in the fridge overnight so it can thaw.
- If you cook from frozen, you can run the bag under hot water for a few seconds to loosen up the food so it is easy to pour out of the bag.
- Make sure you take the food out of the plastic bag before cooking! Didn’t think I needed to say that but I get asked all the time, haha.
- Freezer meals last for about 3 months in the freezer, so make sure you’re checking your dates.
More Taco Recipes
Tacos are a staple in our home. I love the idea of having Taco Tuesdays, but honestly most days I can’t remember what day of the week it is, so we end up having tacos on whatever day. Which is fine with me! If I could I’d have tacos 3+ times per week! Here are a few of my very favorite taco recipes that are on repeat at my home.
Walking Tacos (Okay, these technically aren’t tacos, but if you haven’t tried them, you need to!)